Attention all elementary ESL and classroom teachers! Do you want to discover great web sites for the English language learners in your class? Here is a painless way to give students English language practice in the classroom or at home. These sites are designed for ELLs in grades K-5.
Sites for Grades 1-2
• Starfall.com- Reading instruction and games for students in Pre-K-1. It's hard to believe this site is free.
• Reading is Fundamental. Look at the many stories for grades 2-6 students.
• Storyplace.org -a site with online stories and activities. Grades pre-K-Kindergarten.
• British Council Stories -This site has many stories that are read aloud. Check for spelling and pronunciation differences.
• Games on PBS Kids - Games for K-2. "WordPlay" can be used for students in grades 3-4.
• Arthur -Sequencing activity where students hear a story and put pictures in order.
• Storyline Online -A terrific site with stories read by actors from the ScreenActors' Guild. Grades 1-4.
• Reading-A-To-Z - This is a commercial site with free books that you can download and print. Grades 1-4.
• Raz-kids.com-Reading and listening activities for elementary age students. This is not a free website but is well worth the minimal cost.
• Tumblebook Library – This is a wonderful collection of online books that is well worth the cost. Prices are for schools, school districts or public libraries, not indiviiduals. Take the free trial to check it out.
• Berenstain Bears Games and Songs - Great activities for young children including word games, songs and puzzles. Grades K-1.
• Enchanted learning Printable books and information written for students in grades K-5.
• Continent song Good for students learning the names of the continents.
Sites for Grades 3-5
• Discover Science Simulations Science content from Houghton Mifflin Science Series. Gr. 2-5
• KidsKnowit Network - Learning videos for students is grades 3-6.
• Grammar Gorillas for Advanced Beginners in Grades 3-5
• Bookhive.com -This site has multicultural children's stories told by famous storytellers. Be sure to
• Postcards from Buster - See Busterï¿½s adventures from various places in the U.S. Each city has video, audio, map skills and games. Grades 3-5.
• Scholastic - A program for kids to make flashcards. Grades 3-5
• Surfing the Net with Kids -Site with games and puzzles in different subject areas.
• Book Report - Students make a book report sandwich. Grades 4-5.
• Literactive This site has great oral stories and games for grades 1-12.
• Spelling Wizard - Use spelling words to make a word search or sentence scramble. Grades 3-5.
• Songs and Rhymes- Songs for students in all grades.
• Zoom - Games, activities and science experiments from the TV Show Zoom. Grades 4-5.
A bit of a tiff
1 day ago